Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Gay Marriage Debate

A message board that I visit frequently had a thread about the subject of gay marriage. Previously, whenever the subject of gay marriage would arise I would shrug it off and not even think to form an opinion one way or another. My reasoning was that it didn't concern me so it didn't really matter. If the legislation passed that was fine, and if it didn't, that was fine too. After all, it didn't interfere with my life. Anyway, for some reason while reading the thread I decided it was time to really ponder the issue.
I've decided that I firmly believe gay marriage should be legalized, and surprisingly it didn't take a long time to come to that conclusion.
Not allowing adults of the same sex to marry is discrimination plain and simple. It's actually reminiscent of a time when interracial marriage was illegal. Now, most of the reasoning that is presented to argue against gay marriage is based upon religious (mainly Christian in this country) principles that God designed marriage to be between a man and a woman. The problem with this argument is that there is a separation of church and state in America. If homosexuality is considered immoral or sinful by you or your church (which is another subject for another day) that's fine. The clergy of said church are not obligated to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony or to even recognize it religiously speaking. But that rationale should not interfere with the government's ability to recognize a same-sex marriage.
By not legalizing gay marriage, America is sending a very mixed message. On one hand, you are not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation for job opportunities or housing, but you are allowed to discriminate when it comes to a legally recognized marriage.
It's inconsistent and unfair in my opinion.

8 comments:

Joyce B. said...

Well said.

Emily said...

Oh sweet Melanie...I love you dearly...we will just have to agree to disagree on this one! Big kisses though!

Emily said...

Here are my only thoughts as a Christian. i just think regardless of anything & everything, God's law is first & foremost...so whether are gov't is consistent or not to me isn't the issue, the issue to me is that the Bible doesn't approve, so we shouldn't do or say anything to encourage otherwise.

Joyce B. said...

I should probably clarify that I really appreciate that so much thought went into your post and you explained yourself well. It made me think, for sure, and evoked a quick short comment from me right away.

I am not certain gay marriage should be legal and I don't think a person should live a gay lifestyle, but as you said that is a subject for another day.

Aren't we blessed with a loving God? Love you friend!

Mel said...

Emily,
It would be boring to have friends that had all of the same opinions, so agree to disagree we shall :)
I'm looking at the issue through political and historical glasses. I just can't condone discrimination toward another group based on an intrinsic characteristic. I've seen the damage it can do. It's hurtful and can create emotional scars that take generations to heal.
As far as God's law, we (Christians as a whole) don't always agree on what is or isn't "lawful" which makes the situation complex and proves, in my mind, why separation of church and state is critical. God doesn't force himself on us and we (Christians and anyone else that adheres to a specific religion) shouldn't force our beliefs on others, IMO.

Joyce,

Thanks for the clarification. The intent of the post, and the blog in general, was/is not necessarily to persuade, but more to embrace my thoughts and opinions and at the very least to be understood. As long as that is accomplished, I'm happy.
And yes it is a blessing to experience the perfect and unconditional love that God has for all of his creation.

Thanks for checking out the blog y'all! I love both of you ladies dearly
****************************
Side rant: One of the things I don't get, and this isn't really directed at either one of you-hence the asterisks-is if the problem with gay marriage in this country is really based on biblical ideals, shouldn't there be a political outcry to make divorce and re-marriage illegal, except for adultery?

Anonymous said...

hmmm...sigo pensando

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post .... Just wanted to note that you say "By not legalizing gay marriage, America is sending a very mixed message. On one hand, you are not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation for job opportunities or housing, but you are allowed to discriminate when it comes to a legally recognized marriage.
It's inconsistent and unfair in my opinion."
and I wanted to point out that it IS legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation in most of this land.

Mel said...

Hi Anon,
Thanks for dropping by the blog.

I thought there were laws, at least on the books, that made it illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation in the situations I mentioned.
Is that really not the case, or is it just that these laws aren't consistently enforced?
When you think about it, I guess it really doesn't matter. Either way, it's a shame.