Monday, December 29, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year

So how was everyone's Christmas?

Ours was great. We decided to hit the road this year, and traveled to both my hometown, as well as Dan's. We ate way too much food, stayed up way too late, and the kid scored TONS of loot..ahem, I mean, gifts. He had so much stuff that he had to open his gifts over a three day time frame. Madness!

Recap of the trip:
  • I confirmed my theory that first time grandparents are insane, and this time I have picture proof. Ian's grandfather, my father, decided that it would be a good thing for Ian to use his laptop as a toy. Seriously, you can't be any crazier than that. I believe some of his email contacts are going to be a bit confused as to why they received an email that reads kuhi43543iunhbndk/,.//-
  • Ian was more social than normal. Ian is kind of like a cat (which may be why he loves them so much) in that he has to get to know you in his own way and on his terms. The worst thing you can do when meeting him for the first time is gush all over him, and then try to pick him up. No sir, you're immediately on his list, and trust me, you don't want to be there. The best course of action is to acknowledge his presence with a hello, and then completely ignore him. I know this sounds harsh, but it works. Ian will take several minutes to analyze how you, the newcomer, interact with us, and if you meet his approval he will generally, but not always, work his way toward you. Anyway, this weekend many people broke etiquette for an "Ian meet n greet" but he was fairly quick in forgiving them, and even engaged a few people on his own. It was a Christmas miracle.
  • Dan kicked butt at the family domino game. It's pretty much a tradition for my side of the family to have a domino tournament at most family gatherings. This year Dan was "in the zone." You gotta love a man that can talk trash during a game and then back it up.
  • We didn't have any major family arguments. You know the routine: It's the holidays, you're stressed out from shopping, you're surround by extended family that knows exactly how to push your buttons, and you theirs, and depending on the family, there may be alcohol. All these things can lead to an explosive family argument. I'm happy to report, we had none. Score!
  • We stopped by my in-laws house -well, what's left of it- and saw the extensive damage caused by hurricane Ike. Nature is a frightening, yet amazing thing.
Below are the pictures that I promised.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas. I love Ian's new chair!! That is so cute and I am sure he loves that it is likes his dads. I hope you all are doing well!! Happy New Year!!

Mel said...

Yeah, we had a good time and it looks like you did too. Happy New Year to you!