Thursday, May 29, 2008

First time Grandparents = Temporary Insanity?

So we packed up and went to my hometown for Memorial Day weekend so that Ian could get some face time with my folks. A good time was had by all, but this past weekend confirmed what I already knew in my heart to be true. First time grandparents are crazy.

Seriously, they consider everything that Ian does, good or bad, to be cute and adorable.

I told them the electrical outlet story, and all they could say was "Oh, looks like you have a little engineer on your hands. He's so curious."

We were in church and Ian did not want to sit still. He was crawling in the pews, babbling and flirting with the woman sitting behind us, shouting periodically, just for fun (side note: Ian would so fit in at a charismatic church), and so I decided to do the responsible thing and take him to the nursery. All of a sudden I hear a woman that both looked and sounded like my mother say "No, don't take him out. He's fine. He's not bothering anyone." Are you kidding me? This lady must have been abducted by aliens because this is not my mother.

We went out to eat with my parents. Dan and I are starting to master the 'hurry up and eat before we run out of distractions and this kid goes completely insane' method of dining. My parents not so much. They are taking their time, savoring every bite, and when Ian starts screeching and banging on the table, again, just because it's fun, they giggle and say how cute it is. I look at them, and I can tell that in their twisted little minds, they think the only reason other people are looking in our direction is so that they can make a mental note of just how adorable Ian is.

I may need to have them committed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its pretty sickening isn't it....almost even kinda hard to appreciate????..tu crees?

Amber said...

This is great! Thanks for making me laugh! I can certainly relate. Hope to see you all Sunday.

amber