Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And the winner is

Remember when I decided that I would start eating red meat again?
Well in an attempt to have me put my money where my mouth was, Dan suggested that we treat ourselves to a burger tasting around town.

The plan: From the many burger joints in town, Dan would narrow down two places for our burger consumption. We would visit each place individually, rank the burger, and at the end of the day declare a winner among the two contestants.

The Contestants:
Culvers

VS.

Mighty Fine




First stop: Culver's

Now I had eaten at Culver's before. In fact, I used to love their tuna melt, but I had never had the ButterBurgers that always gets such rave reviews.
We decided to order one ButterBurger to split between the both of us. When it arrived at the table, I immediately approved of its appearance. The patty wasn't too thick or too thin, and even though we were in a fast food restaraunt, the burger didn't have that fast food look to it.
The first bite was quite good. Good flavor, great bread, not too greasy, and the burger proved to be downright tasty all the way through. Ian agreed as he happily chowed down on my our half of the burger. Yum, yum!

To cleanse our palate, we ordered some peach custard. (What. You didn't know you could use peach custard to cleanse your palate? Well you can. Ask any food critic. The fact that the custard was smooth, creamy, rich, and delicious had nothing to do with it. We were all about business, I promise)

Second stop: Mighty Fine
When we first arrived at Mighty Fine something quite bizarre happened. As I was getting Ian out of the car, I heard a man make a noise like he was trying to cough up a hairball. "WRAGH, WRAGH", he grunted. When he noticed we were looking in his direction, he yelled out towards us "That's a crazy burger man, a crazy burger." That's when I realized, he wasn't clearing his throat, he was expressing his pleasure over his food. I was intrigued.

Once we ordered and received our hamburger, I have to say, it didn't look like my kind of burger. The patty was entirely too thick, and it looked a tad bit greasy. But never one to judge a book by it's cover, I took a bite. I immediately though to myself, Ok, this is pretty good, but then it happened...
All of a sudden, taste buds that I didn't even know I had were awakened. This first bite was heavenly I tell you. I mean bright light shining down, angels singing, heavenly. So heavenly, that the when I finally composed myself to speak, the first words out of my mouth were "Good Lord". The diners sitting to our left laughed.
Oh, and Ian, he gobbled up that burger like nobody's business. You've never heard a 2 year old say yum so many times during a meal. It was absolutely fantastic.

While the Culver's burger was really good, I declared Mighty Fine the winner two bites into the burger. I mean really, there was no sense in delaying the inevitable.

By the way, I was mistaken. What I misjudged as grease on the Mighty Fine burger was actually flavor, baby. Pure, unadulterated, flavor.

3 comments:

Joyce B. said...

I love this post. Welcome back. I might need to meet you or a burger at Mighty Fine... I didn't love it. Not sure why. I am willing to split one with you and try again though!

May I recommend Phil's burgers, next to Amy's Ice Cream on Burnet, just south of Koenig. I love their burgers and their fries - sweet potato and/or regular.

Emily said...

Okay...now...here is my recommendation...you MUST go to Freddy's Frozen Custard. There is one in Pflugerville that would be closest to you...I assure you...it is SOOOO worth it.

Mel said...

Oooh, looks like Dan and I may have another burger tasting in our future. Thanks for the tips ladies.