Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Loss of Innocence

Reminisce with me for a moment, will you?

Let's go back in time, way back. Back to when storks delivered babies and little people lived inside the television. Back to a time where Santa Claus was real and the Tooth Fairy left money under your pillow. Yes, lets go back...

Let's go to a time of youth; a time of innocence. Ah yes, the good ol' days.

Remember how much fun it was to play outside for hours on end? Or how thrilled you were when your parents bought a new toy for you?

Speaking of toys, do you see this toy below? This is one of Ian's favorite toys.
SportsGame

He will crawl up to the basketball goal, grab one of the toy basketballs, and DUNK IT! The little scoreboard section lights up, and it plays a little song and there is even fake crowd/applause sounds. It's pretty cool.

Now Ian doesn't know about batteries, or the fact that there is a little lever that trips whenever the ball goes through the goal to signal the music/scoreboard. All he knows is that if he can manage to put that ball through the circle, the baby party will begin.

One morning as I was preparing Ian's bottle, I heard him grab the toy basketball. Just a few moments later, I heard "dun dun na naaaaaaa" (that's the best I can do to imitate the initial sound played when a basket is made. use your imagination).

Me: "Whoo hoo!! Way to go Ian! Yeah!!"

As I continued in the kitchen, I noticed that Ian was silent for a little bit. Just when I was about to check to make sure he didn't get into something he shouldn't have, I heard "dun dun na naaaaaaa".

Me again: "Yippee, Pooh. You made another one." <dun dun na naaaaaaa> "Alright Ian, you're on a ro...." <dun dun na naaaaaaa> "Wow, you're getting really goo..." <dun dun na naaaaaaa>

As you can imagine, by this time I'm eagerly heading towards the living room to see my baby Shaq perform. Busy with visions of NBA drafts, early retirement, and season tickets for my favorite NBA team (the one Ian would be playing for of course), it never dawned on me that while I had been hearing the music to signal a basket had been made, I had not been hearing the basketball go through the hoop.

Yep, that's right. When I got to the living room, this is what I saw.

CheaterPooh

If you notice, Ian doesn't have a basketball in his hand. Nope, they are both safe and sound. He did figure out that it wasn't the ball going through the hoop that started the fun, it was the lever.

Ah, they grow up so fast :)

2 comments:

Joyce B. said...

That's funny - thanks for the pics to illustrate! Maybe your visions of his NBA days don't have to die just yet... he'll be a smarter Shaq!

Sonia said...

Mel you are still just a crazy as I remember. LOL! Love the story! I see Ian has learned early...sometimes you've gotta cut some corners!