Friday, January 9, 2009

Mel's Musings (and Rants)

It's that time again...
-----
Dear generic pack and play manufacturer,

I thank you for your nifty creation. It has served my family quite well, as we use it as a bed for my son while traveling. You have saved my husband and me countless beatings by my son's flailing limbs in the middle of the night.
I do, however, have a suggestion for improvement. The mattress for this delightful contraption makes a rustling noise whenever my kid changes positions. For the normal child this isn't a problem, but when you have a child that flops around like a bat out of you-know-where, this does not create an ideal sleeping experience. In fact, it causes said child to wake up earlier than normal since the sound of *crinkle, crinkle, crinkle* wakes him from his peaceful slumber. Not good. A tired toddler, equals a cranky toddler who gives you the evil eye because he was awakened before he was ready .
Please consider making future mattresses out of a less noisy material. The life you save may be your own.

Signed,
Sleeping with one eye open
-----
Why is it now popular to make H's silent in the words that begin with the letter? Instead of Huge, it's Yooge; Instead of Houston, TX, it's Yooston, TX; And the one that makes me want to pull my hair out strand by strand, instead of Human, it's Yooman. Hey you, silent H guy! Not pronouncing the letter H doesn't make you sound smart, it makes you sound silly. Oh, and you can save sending me a link to an online dictionary giving alternate pronunciations to prove these are valid. These are the same people that added the word bling to the dictionary. BLING! Ugh, idiocracy has begun.
-----
While we are talking about language, has anyone else noticed that, beginning at the height of election season and continuing through now, everyone has started using the word fundamentally more often? During the debates both Obama and McCain (although I noticed it with Obama more often) would pinpoint a particular issue and then describe how they were "fundamentally different" from their opponent. Now you hear the word fundamentally everywhere:
"This is how the Zone diet is fundamentally different from Atkins", "This is how satellite is fundamentally different from cable", "This is how salmon is fundamentally different from tuna ."
-----
I know it's a little early, but say it with me: Valentine's Day, Valentine's Day, Valentine's day, NOT Valentime's day. There's no M in the word people. Every year, in early February, I hear good, law abiding, tax paying citizens slash the second N and replace it with a M. I'm sure the N doesn't appreciate it. What did the N ever do to you to warrant this behavior?
Don't worry, now that I've pointed out this bold misuse of the letter M, you'll notice it too. You'll notice it just like you notice nails on a chalkboard.
-----
While we're on the subject, why is Valentine's day even a holiday? I know I'm a woman and I'm supposed to love Valentine's day, but, not so much. It's too forced.
Every year people try to find some new, unique, and outlandish way to show their love on that particular day, and they do it simply because the media told them to.
I'm all for romance, and I won't turn down a date with my hubby, even if it is on February 14th, but really, it's just another day. Dan and I have spent several Valentine's days doing absolutely nothing. I don't understand why some people get upset when their significant other doesn't do anything "special" on February 14th. You'll win more points with me by doing something romantic, just because you feel like it, one of the other 364 days of the year. This is why my husband is perfect for me. Most men would think Valentines day would be the perfect day to propose, but not my Dan.
Oh, what's that? You're asking me the date Dan proposed? February 15th. *Blissful Sigh* He sooo gets me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I guess you might say I'm "The Man". That reminds of a certain three-word alias that I still hear to this day and could do my own ranting about.

Mel said...

Hey, my blog is your blog. If you ever want to blow off some steam, I'm here for you :)

Anonymous said...

as i try to control the nausea from the post and response....my b-day is the most wonderful day of the year...so just celebrate my birth why don't you...yes you will be forced....te quiero...