Friday, August 29, 2008

45 years later

Last night, Dan, Ian*, and I watched, as Barack Obama accepted the Democratic nomination for President of the United States of America.

It was a touching moment.

For the first time in our country's history, a person that is identified** as an African-American, has been nominated for the highest political office of the land.

I fully planned on watching Obama speak, but what was very unexpected, was how emotional (in a good way) it was for me.

I was proud that my grandparents, who were born in the era of "Whites Only" restaurants and bathrooms, were able to witness this. I'm sure it is a day, that never thought they would live to see.
I was excited that my parents, who were students that experienced desegregation of public schools, experienced this.
I was excited for people of my generation, that have witnessed a plethora of firsts for African-Americans.

But most of all, I was excited for Ian.

See, I'm hoping that for his generation, seeing an African-American nominated as a presidential candidate, or any other office with high standing, will be something of the norm. I imagine Ian fully knowing the history of Black people in America, but not being able to even imagine a time where the color of one's skin determined their worth.

We may not all agree with Obama's political positions, but put that aside for just a moment. Last night, the 45th anniversary of MLK Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech, was a historic night not only for African-Americans, but all Americans. It was a night that said "we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood", and that, is change I can believe in.



*Ok, Ian was asleep, but he was in the room while Obama spoke :)
**Describing Obama as being "identified" as an African-America is not meant to be an insult. Obama has both a Black and White parent, and it doesn't seem fair (IMO) to have him choose between the two. However, when a person sees Obama, he is typically viewed as a Black man, and that is the point I was trying to get across.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, sometimes (espcially when my better half is away) I get behind and don't get to catch up with you by reading your thoughts as often as I'd like but I finally had a chance late the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it all. I am a little blown away by how much our thoughts sync! It is mysterious and makes me wonder if there was something in the Houston water that stuck with us and allowed us to think outside the box?! Anyway, my family and I were also deeply, deeply touched by the events at the DNC. We saw history and for the 1st time ever in life, was able to look at our children and believe it when we said aloud "You can be anything you want to be!". Although it is yet to be seen that a black man hold the highest office in the world, it is the first time that it is acutally in grasp and actually possible. And, much kudoos to Michelle Obama and her speech. It makes me so proud to be a black woman. She is educated, graceful and stunning! So, with that being said, I understood and truly felt your blog on the historical topic!- Thanks for sharing OUR thoughts (LOL)!

Mel said...

Maybe it was a combo of the smog and water that put us in sync :)